Monday, May 18, 2009

Patria Jiménez - Latin America's first lesbian deputy

I interviewed this activist. Will get the full interview up on the blog soon, but here is a brief explanation of her work.

In 1997, Jiménez made history by being elected the first openly lesbian candidate in Mexico. Representing the Workers Revolutionary Party (PRT) which was in an alliance with the Democratic Revolution Party (PRD) Jiménez was also the first lesbian candidate to be elected in Latin America. She is standing again within Salvemos México (Save Mexico) for Mexico’s upcoming July federal elections.

I want to share an interview conducted by a skilled writer, who managed to get more of the personal components of her life. I think every queer person needs to read this interview. And all those who want to know what we go through.

http://www.speaktruth.org/defend/profiles/profile_45.asp

Here is some of the best bits of her responses

'And I will look back and realize the true meanings of many things, like courage. Courage is when, in Chiapas, you ask a general to remove his troops from a community because they are entering houses at night, frightening people. You have to talk to that general, to confront someone with weapons and power, to overcome your timidity and fear. Today they tell me I’m going to Chiapas, to lead the people on a march into the community of La Realidad. When we get to the roadblock, there will be armed paramilitaries. These are the most risky situations: entering communities in which my truck is surrounded by paramilitaries threatening to burn it, saying that they will kill us. It used to make me afraid, but it doesn’t any more. Because I am never alone. Even when people ask me to go in front, to confront the troops or the paramilitaries, they come with me, so we’re a group.'

My fear disappears when I begin to speak in these situations, without raising my voice. I just try to explain to people what’s going on. I’m afraid inside, but calm outside. It’s only when I get home that I react. The morning after, I wake up and say, "What did I do?" That could be brave. I don’t know. I’m not someone who takes risks. Others have been beaten up, but this has not happened to me. If that happens to me some day, it will be part of the work. I just hope they don’t hurt me too badly.

But I take courage by realizing that here is an opening, and we have been able to move forward on difficult cases. I’ve gotten a reputation of being a good advocate. But it works because there is openness on the part of the other side. They are small cases, but they are very important, because they have to do with people’s lives—someone in jail, rape victims, a pregnant woman, a person kicked out of work after twenty-five years. Very small cases, but it’s their lives. And it’s so worth fighting for.'

Incredible!!

No comments:

Post a Comment